all you need to know about temporary employment.

how does it work?

  • Legal framework for temporary employment

    Randstad is your official employer. Your consultant finds a suitable job for you and tells you about the company and the vacant position. They draw up a contract and manage all of the administrative side, including salary payment. Randstad then passes its authority over to the company where you are working. The company is responsible for organising and evaluating the work you do.

    Basically, you need to follow the company’s internal rules and regulations: keep to the required working hours and break times, ask permission before making a private phone call and comply with safety regulations etc.

    When you start working for us, you immediately become our ambassador within a company that has placed its trust in us. We need to earn this trust together as a team!

  • The contract

    Ideally, you will come and sign your contract at our offices before you start the job.

    If this is not possible, Randstad will post it to you within 48 hours of you starting the job. Send the contract back to us with your signature and keep a copy for yourself.

    Once you have signed the contract and the probationary period has ended, you undertake to follow the job through to completion.

    If it is to be renewed, Randstad will send your contract back to you with an extension period added to it. Please sign and send it back to us as soon as possible.

  • Time sheet

    This document is used to calculate your salary. This document is extremely important.

    It has to be completed carefully and in full and be signed by you and the person supervising your work and bear the official stamp of the company for which you work.

    You need to complete one time sheet per week (or per month, depending on the company) for each client. State the dates and hours of work and send it to Randstad - preferably by email, but failing that by post, to arrive by the day before the cut-off date for salaries.

  • Salary payment

    As a general rule, your salary is paid weekly. If we receive your time sheet late, your salary will be not be paid until the Thursday following the week worked at the earliest.

    Please ensure that you send us your bank details a soon as you start the job.

  • Pay slip

    A pay slip is generated every month and sent to you by email or post. If you have any questions regarding your pay slip, please email us (and not the user company) at or phone us on: 40 32 04 666.

  • Tax card

    Randstad pays you a net salary and deducts tax according to a defined scale.

    If your gross hourly wage is less than or equal to €25, the tax rate deducted is 10%.

    If your gross hourly wage is higher than 25 € you must apply for a tax card from the tax authorities (form n° 162F) and send it to us as soon as you receive it. We will apply the rate that appears on this document. Until we receive this tax card, the law requires us to tax you at 33%. This rate will be corrected upon receipt of the card and the additional tax you paid will be refunded.
    Every employment contract with a gross hourly wage of more than 25 € must be applied for a tax card.

  • Social security

    You are automatically affiliated to the Caisse Nationale de Santé (CNS) for the period of your employment. You will not receive any confirmation from the CNS - your contract is proof of affiliation.

    You have already worked in Luxembourg or are a Luxembourg resident: you therefore have a Social Security number already. Please send it to Randstad.

    You have never worked in Luxembourg: in order to register you, we need a copy of your ID and your date and place of birth. Social Security will then send us your number and Randstad will post it to you. It is unique and valid for life (the number always begins with your year, month and date of birth followed by five numbers).

    If you are a cross-border worker, you have access to medical care in both Luxembourg and your country of residence. To obtain a refund of the cost of your care, you need to send the appropriate bills to the social security organisation of the country where you received the care. If you have health insurance to cover any excess charges, you will need to send the following to the social security entity of your place of residence:

    Form E106 for residents of France and Germany

    Form B1 for residents of Belgium.

    These documents can be obtained from the CNS or downloaded from their web site at

  • Unemployment benefit

    At the end of your employment, Randstad will provide you with form U1 on request, enabling you to claim unemployment benefit.

  • Paid holiday

    The number of days of paid holiday to which you are entitled is dependent on the collective agreement applicable in the sector occupied by the user company. It is set at a minimum of 25 days per year. Holidays are automatically paid in advance on top of your weekly salary and pro rata to the number of hours worked. Should you wish to leave your employment, you will not continue to be paid.

    Holidays can also be capitalised. In this case, you will not be paid for them automatically but your salary will continue to be paid while you are on holiday (within the scope of your acquired rights).

    You also need to make sure you agree any absences with your supervisor within the user company beforehand.

  • National holidays

    There are 10 statutory holidays in Luxembourg per year: New Year’s Day, Easter Monday, Labour Day, Ascension Day, Whit Monday, National Day, Assumption Day, All Saints Day, Christmas Day and Saint Stephen’s Day. Some businesses, particularly banks and insurance companies, close on certain days such as local market day, Carnival Monday and Whit Tuesday…

    If the holiday falls on a weekend and you are under contract, you can get the day back as long as you are still under contract and that you do this within a maximum of three months.

  • Special leave

    You can take leave for certain major events and still be paid by Randstad: for a death in the family, your wedding, moving house or the birth of your child. This leave must be taken at the time of the event in question. The number of days of absence is determined by law and dependent on the reason for it. You can find out more about this from your Randstad consultant. And don’t forget to provide them with the documentary proof of your absence.

  • Meal vouchers

    Temporary employees receive meal vouchers if the company where they work issues them to permanent staff. Randstad issues the vouchers; you can come to collect them from the office during regular office hours. Meal vouchers are available the week following the monthly salary cut-off date, provided that your time sheet is received on time.

  • Bonuses and thirteen month’s pay

    If the company employing you gives bonuses or thirteen month’s pay to permanent staff, you are also entitled to these as a temporary employee. Please note that some companies apply a waiting period before giving these benefits.

  • Work clothing

    Safety in the work place is down to the user company and you too. Always wear the work clothes issued to you. As a general rule, Randstad will ask you for a deposit for the clothes.

  • Medical check-up

    Everyone working for Randstad has to go for a medical check-up at the Service de Santé au Travil de l'Industrie (STI). Randstad will make the appointment and send all the necessary information (date, time, address) to you by post. If you are working that day, Randstad will pay you for up to 2 hours of the time spent at the appointment. The check-up is compulsory and a €110 charge will be made if you fail to attend. Please make sure that you inform the user company of your absence.

  • Sickness

    If you are ill, you need to inform your office at 8.30. It is also best if you tell the company you are working for about your absence directly.

    A medical certificate must be issued from day one of any absence and we need to receive it by day three of your absence. If you do not do so, sick days will not be paid.

    Randstad will pay your sickness benefit until the end of the calendar month during which the 77th day of work incapacity occurs. After that, CNS is responsible for paying you, provided that you have already been affiliated for a minimum of six months.

    You must send the original sickness certificate to the CNS (125 route d’Esch L-1471 Luxembourg). While you are under contract with Randstad, your sickness benefits will be paid through us, provided that the national health insurance scheme accepts the application.

  • Accidents at work

    Naturally, we hope that accidents never occur. You will avert most risks by adhering strictly to the safety regulations in force within the company.

    If, in spite of everything, an accident should occur, seek medical attention immediately from the company medical service, a doctor or hospital. Ask for an occupational accident declaration form, which the doctor will complete in part. Then inform Randstad – the same day if possible – so that the second part of the accident declaration can be completed. It is best if you come straight to our office, as if a declaration is late or incomplete, you might not be covered by the accident insurance. If you are unable to travel, please send us an accurate account of the circumstances of the accident as soon as possible. The user company will also have to produce a report explaining the exact conditions of the accident.

  • What is covered?

    In the case of work incapacity, all medical expenses will be covered by the insurance. Make sure that you keep proofs of all monies spent and send them to the CNS. If your accident leads to work incapacity, your sick benefit will be paid through Randstad, again provided that the application is accepted by the national health insurance scheme.

    Don’t forget to send a copy of your sick note to the CNS. You are also covered for accidents occurring on the direct route to work. Any costs incurred for physical injury and material damage (capped amount) are covered by the insurance.

  • Tax statement

    Randstad will automatically issue you with a tax statement - known as a remuneration certificate - at the start of the year. You will use it to complete your tax declaration in your country of residence.

  • Minimum social wage

    There is a minimum social wage (SSM) in Luxembourg for qualified and unqualified workers. The amount of the SSM depends on the mobile salary scale index. Randstad scrupulously adheres to these amounts.

  • Chambre des Salariés

    Every person working in Luxembourg on 1st March is required to pay an annual contribution to the Chambre des Salariés. Randstad will deduct this from your salary and pay it to the Chambre des Salariés.

  • Work permit

    The following people do not require a work permit for the Grand Duchy:

    nationals of EU States, the Principality of Lichtenstein, Switzerland, Norway and Iceland

    person married to an EU national with an unlimited term employment contract in Luxembourg

    person married to a resident of Luxembourg (the couple must be living at the same address).

    In all other cases, you must apply for a work permit from the Ministry of Immigration. To obtain the permit, you must have very specific high-level skills in a sector lacking a sufficient workforce. As a general rule, Randstad will not provide any assistance with obtaining an initial work permit.

We hope that we have answered most of your questions about temporary employment in Luxembourg. If any areas are still unclear, please contact your consultant.