the important points to address
Recruiters receive hundreds of applications, so always try to tailor the cover letter to the job you are applying for.
- introduce yourself and state the purpose of your letter (include the reference to the advert if relevant).
- describe your current post and qualifications. Keep it brief – the details will be in your CV.
- say why you think you are the right fit for the post and the company.
- don’t be afraid of asking for an interview – it will show how serious you are about your application.
- including information about the company can also create a positive impression with the recruiter. Doing some research beforehand can be very helpful.
a few more tips:
- avoid addressing the letter “Dear Madam” or “Dear Sir” - take the time to find the name of the person in charge of recruitment.
- watch your spelling, grammar and punctuation. Get someone to check through your letter, as this is the first impression of you that the recruiter will have.
- highlight your plus points in relation to the requirements stated in the advert.
- and if you send your application by email, don’t forget to attach your CV!